Workers Compensation Insurance Nevada
Are you required to carry Workers Compensation insurance in Nevada? The answer is YES!
Most consumers and business owners are familiar with the term Workers Compensation as a means of coverage for an employee’s medical expenses and/or lost wages as a result of work related injury, illness or death. But did you know that in Nevada, Independent Contractors are considered employees unless they pass the “independent enterprise” test (Nevada Workers Compensation Myths):
• Must hold themselves out as an independent business, having a separate business or occupational license; or by owning or renting property used in the business.
• In addition, the work being performed must be work normally done by an independent contractor rather than by employees.
Many businesses may try to save operating costs by not carrying this valuable coverage but failure to do so could result in one or more of the following penalties (Employer Guide to Workers Compensation):
• Cease and Desist Order from the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement – Until coverage is in place, your business could lose hundreds or thousands of dollars per day by being shut down.
• Administrative Fines of up to $15,000.
• Premium penalties on future Workers Compensation policies.
• Financial responsibility for all costs arising from a work-related injury.
• You may be subject to a criminal penalty for claims resulting in substantial bodily harm or death.
By working with multiple financially stable companies, our office is able to shop and compare multiple quotes to find you the best combination of coverage and price. Our office, as well as many carriers, also offers Risk Management and Safety Tips to protect your employees from being injured on the job.